Virat Kohli to step down as India's T20 Captain after T20 World Cup in Dubai

Virat Kohli takes the decision to step down as India's T20 captain after a lot of contemplation and discussions with his close people, Ravi Shastri and white ball skipper Rohit. He took to twitter to confirm this.

Virat Kohli to step down as India's T20 captain after the T20 World Cup
(Pic:-ViratKohli/Twitter)

India's cricket team captain Virat Kohli decided to step down as India's T20 captain after the T20 World Cup in Dubai and Oman in October. He confirmed this in a long statement on twitter. He took this decision after consulting his close ones.

He said that he is fortunate not only to represent India but also to lead India. He thanked each and every person who supported him during his journey as the captain of Indian cricket team. He said that It couldn't be possible without the boys of the cricket team, the selection committee, the support staff, his coaches and each and every Indian who prayed for them to win.

"Understanding workload is a very important thing and considering my immense workload over the last 8-9 years playing all three formats and captaining regularly for last 5-6 years. I feel I need to give myself space to be fully ready to lead the Indian team in Test and ODI Cricket. I have given everything to the team during my time as T20 captain and I will continue to do so for the T20 Team as a batsman moving forward", Virat Kohli wrote in a statement.

He further said that it took a lot of time to reach at this decision. After a lot of contemplations and discussions with his close ones, Ravi bhai (Ravi Shastri) and Rohit who have been an essential part of the leadership group, he decided to step down as the T20 captain of India after this T20 World Cup in Dubai in October.

He also spoken to BCCI Secretary Jay Shah and the president of BCCI Sourav Ganguly along with all the selectors for the same. He will continue to serve Indian cricket and the Indian cricket team to the best of his ability.

Virat Kohli first took over the captaincy of Indian test cricket team in the midway Australia tour when MS Dhoni had stepped down in 2014-15.

In 2017, when MS Dhoni had quit the captaincy from the limited overs format then Virat Kohli was become the captain of all the three formats of the Indian cricket team.

Indian team will begin its campaign in the T20 World Cup on October 24 against Pakistan and this will be the last tournament of Virat Kohli as the captain of Indian cricket team.

There were speculations over the last few days that BCCI will remove the Virat Kohli from the captaincy of Indian cricket team if India loses the T20 World Cup but BCCI denied this news. Now, Virat Kohli himself takes the decision to step down as the T20 captain after the T20 World Cup.

Post a Comment

0 Comments